On Friday the 6th of September St. Joseph’s Parish School Weipa will be participating in Science Time with Dr. Peter Eastwell – PhD (Science Education), BSc (Honours, Phys. Chem.), DipEd
Peter’s experience as a science educator began in 1978. He taught full-time in Queensland state and independent schools for over 17 years, 12 as Head of Science. He enjoyed his work in the classroom immensely, and documented some of it by authoring the textbook Physics Spectrum: Constructing an Understanding of Physics (McGraw-Hill), which promotes a constructivist approach to the learning of Senior Physics. He also completed doctoral studies on the effects of enrichment and extracurricular science activities on secondary students.
Since 1997, Peter has been self-employed as the Director of Science Time, conducting science shows and other programs for students and families and seminars/workshops for teachers. He also founded and edited The Science Education Review, an international journal that brought leading-edge ideas to the attention of busy teachers. Peter is a registered Science and Technology Communicator, an accredited Primary Investigations and Crest Awards trainer, and has authored broadly in the area of science education. With a deep passion for science education that students find contagious, he enjoys nothing more than sharing his fascination for the scientific principles that govern our world.
Program for Friday 6th September, 2019
- 9.00 – 10 .00am – Air show for Prep to Year 6
- 10.40 – 11.10am – Morning Tea
- 11.10 – 12.25pm – Hands-on learning experiences for about one half the Years 4 – 6 students (Group 1)
- 12.35 – 1.10pm – Hands-on learning experiences for other half of Years 4 – 6 students (Group 2)
- 1.10 – 1.45pm – Big Lunch
- 1.45 – 2.25pm – Group 2 hands-on continues
- 2.25 – 2.35pm – Whole-school spectacular (exploding a soft drink bottle with liquid nitrogen)
We look forward to seeing you there!