It is a very exciting time in the St Joseph’s community in term 4, this is the time that we start our Prep transition and we get to see all the new faces that will join our school community next year. Starting Prep is an exciting time for children, schools and parents alike.
To support children’s successful transition, you can do lots of things at home that can help early engagement of literacy and numeracy skills. Involve your child in;
- Cooking, measuring and dividing meals onto plates
- Dice games
- Play rhyming games to rhyme words that sound similar
- Chalk drawings
- Memory games
- Threading beads/jewellery making
- Hunt for numbers while in the environment
- Action games (following instructions like Simon says)
Children learn best when they are actively engaged in their environment and encouraged by a loved one. While early numeracy and literacy skills are important, this is also a great time to develop independent selfcare skills for children that will help them at school. Including;
- Opening and closing containers
- Using zips on clothing
- Stacking things
- Opening drink bottles
We look forward to welcoming new faces and families into the St Joseph’s School community. Please reach out if we can help transitioning your kindy child to prep.